1. Where I was 10 years ago:
Ten years ago…that was 1998! I was a sophomore at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign, thank you), still living in the dorms – Allen Hall to be precise. I wouldn’t have been living in the dorms if I had my way, but I was on the gymnastics team (see second meme) and they had some stupid rule that you had to live in the dorms for two years. But I really loved Allen Hall. Back then it was the artsy-fartsy dorm. You had to apply to live there. Everyone there either painted, threw pots, did photography, and/or played an instrument. Not like those silly jocks who lived in the six pack. HOLY CRAP! I just wrote all of this and realized that I really wasn’t a sophomore in college, but was actually in my second year of grad school in Eugene, Oregon. I do this all the time (again, see second meme). You know, think that I’m actually four years younger than I really am. So for real, I was in Oregon getting my masters in Historic Building Preservation and Urban Planning. That’s right, two of ’em!
2. 5 things on my “to do list” today:
a. Take a shower (check!)
b. Go to Costco (check)
c. Make lamb meatballs for the boys (lamb went bad because this was on my “to do” list for a whole week without me doing it)
d. Watch Lost
e. Call my sister-in-law
3. Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
Oh man! Build our dream house. A killer contemporary masterpiece perched on Lake Austin or overlooking the greenbelt. Furnish it with amazing mid-century pieces, including the womb chair in, like, every single room. Then build another killer contemporary masterpiece in Brazil as a vacation home. And then travel the world. And of course donate a bunch of it outright to great “changing-the-world” non-profits, probably set up my own foundation, and give all my family members and close friends a million a piece.
4. 3 of my bad habits:
a. Talking to J as I’m walking out of the room, or from across the house
b. Reading in the dark
c. Taking the boys for walks in the morning in my pajamas
5. 5 Places that I have lived:
a. Chicago, IL
b. Dallas, TX
c. Eugene, OR
d. St. Louis, MO
e. Austin, TX
6. 5 Jobs that I have had:
a. Gymnastics coach (high school)
b. Bookkeeper for a Health Food Store (college)
c. Nightclub Photographer (five years ago, don’t ask – WORST JOB EVER!)
e. Golf Caddy (for two weeks in high school)
7. Something most people don’t know about me:
As if you didn’t get enough, see below for more than you bargained for!
Second meme: Seven Random Facts
1. I have a time-warp tendency that makes me about four years younger at any given moment. It really happens mostly when I think about high school and college. I graduated in 1992, but for some reason I always think it’s really 1996. Trust me, my husband is quick to remind me (see below).
2. I married a guy I went to high school with. We met (again) at our 10-year reunion. He was the sweetest guy ever. Our sophomore year we kind of had crushes on one another and he invited me over to his house. I brought over Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (best movie ever) and made him watch it. For some reason I was riffling through his drawers (come on, people!) and found a “Stevenson High School Bench Press Champion” t-shirt that he had won. I stole it. Before the 10-year reunion I found it at the bottom of my dresser and started wearing it as a sleep shirt. He was reunited with his long lost shirt soon thereafter.
3. I was captain of the University of Illinois gymnastics team my junior and senior year.
4. I’ve always had a tendency towards weird food binges. In high school it was turkey sandwiches with sauerkraut and horseradish mustard. I ate it every day for lunch for 4 months. In college I was obsessed with Krunchers jalepeno potato chips. I would eat a big bag in one sitting, almost every day, for more months than I care to admit.
5. I met Duran Duran twice. Once at the Green Room in Dallas and once walking down North Michigan Avenue. I also was in love with John Taylor in 5th grade. Lucky me!
6. I broke my left arm twice in the same exact place. The first time I was six and my brother catapulted me backwards off his bed. The pillows we had set up didn’t do much to soften my landing. The second time was in sixth grade and I fell off the uneven bars. I went on to later have surgery twice on that same arm. Poor arm!
7. I would love to be on Survivor or have J and I compete on The Amazing Race. We almost put together an audition tape for TAR, but ended up being pregnant with twins!